Thursday, October 11, 2012

October Days

The second week of October has brought cold winds and a hint of the winter to come. Harvest is probably about half done with the tomatoes all picked, the squash bagged up and lots of pickles, jam and salsa made. The carrots and parsnips need to be pulled and the potatoes dug. The ground is covered with leaves after last night's high winds. Evenings require a fire and the darkness falls so much earlier and the mornings are dark.My month with Emma is over and the visit from her mom and little sister is almost over as well. I will miss those sweet smiles, the hugs and all the joy my granddaughters have brought to our home .I will probably not see them again until March and so much will have changed as a one year old and three year old have such a rapid growing curve. I will treasure the time we have had and hope that the memories of their time on the farm with Monkey and Toad will be firmly planted and cause them the desire to return to this place where they are so loved by great grandparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and neighbours. Last night I met with a book club made up of a group of enthusiastic young ladies at the Peddler's Creek restaurant in Quispamsis.Thank you Stephanie, Deborah, Melissa and Sarah. They had read The Year Mrs. Montague Cried and were full of questions and observations that were insightful and generous. It was the first of three book clubs I am meeting with this month and I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to meet with readers. I am taking a couple of hours to write this afternoon as Meg and the girls visit a friend. It makes me very anxious to begin a more disciplined routine next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment